According to Forbes, attorneys are more stressed
and less happy than any other professional
Attorneys Face a Unique Type of Stress and Require Unique Solutions
Stress among attorneys is a serious problem. While many professional occupations come with pressure, attorneys face uncommonly tough challenges associated with unhappiness and burnout. Specific stressors cited most frequently by attorneys include:
- A sense of having no control over work/life
- Frustration with not being able to sufficiently help clients or make a difference
- Excessively demanding and often adversarial work
Stress experienced by attorneys is so far above the norm that it can only be described as an outlier. Advanced techniques to address “outlier stress” are required for the well-being of attorneys, their firms, and their families.
An Elite Wellness Solution for an Elite Profession
Law and the Good Life is a proven system designed to target distinct stressors faced every day by attorneys. Developed by Dr. Wood, this system can reduce the strain of lawyering and promote greater happiness and productivity.
The Three Pillars of Living the Good Life While Practicing Law
Law and the Good Life is organized around three components of reducing attorney stress:
Vitality lays a foundation for well-being by optimizing the physical, psychological and mental resiliency integral to feeling in command – no matter what is happening externally.
The focus is on:
- Thinking and behaving in ways that promote confidence, commitment and endurance
- Clarifying values and priorities so the most important, highest level work gets done
- Galvanizing energy and concentration for thriving in the face of unpredictable demands
Connectivity builds on vitality by enhancing alliances and creating feelings of contribution and camaraderie.
Emphasis is placed on:
- Establishing satisfying client relationships despite inevitable obstacles
- Increasing personal and professional fulfillment through social involvement
- Communicating artfully to get results more quickly
Sustainability maximizes attorney stamina in the face of monumental workloads and extraordinary expectations.
The goal here is:
- Creating structures that foster smart decision-making and innovative problem-solving.
- Asserting with diplomacy, whether with difficult colleagues or challenging clients.
- Emulating the habits of elite athletes and other peak performers to maintain momentum — despite constant distractions, demands, and deadlines.
The Law and the Good Life system is delivered in three ways:
- One-on-one coaching
- Customized trainings
- Talent attraction and retention consulting
To learn more, please contact Dr. Wood by phone at 207-232-0390 or email her at email@example.com.
“Dr. Wood’s in-depth insight into the unique stresses and pressures of practicing law combined with her experience and wisdom as a psychologist and professional coach makes her very effective at improving attorney wellness. She delivers to lawyers what they need to be less stressed, work smarter, produce better results and enjoy life more.”
Peter Schroeter, Esquire; Chair of the Maine Bar Alternative Dispute Resolution Section